Saturday, June 2, 2012

This and That

I've been working a lot the last few months (as a substitute teacher).  Between meetings and kids getting sick (there has been another outbreak of flu here), they've been keeping me hopping.  That leaves little time for quilting when I get home...  I'm exausted!  No wonder I've been so late in getting my BOM done on time!

Here's another reason:

Pathfinder trying to get into her nest (bottom shelf of bookcase)

Willow stretched out on my cutting table.


When I get some time to actually get into my sewing room, the creativity takes over and things get, well....  messy....  My girls take advantage of it and find nice comfy places to sleep.  Pathfinder especially, sheds alot and the fabric in the "nest" she has made herself needed to be washed to get rid of all the cat hair.  She and Willow are true "Quilt Cats" who love fabric and make themselves at home in my quilting room while I'm working.

Next, I had a specific project to make for my mom's birthday. I went looking for my pattern for "Goose" clothes to make for a ceramic porch goose.  I haven't see the pattern since I cleaned my room at Christmas.   Hmmm... while I'm looking for it, I cleaned my messy room and washed fabric.  Now I'm ready to go again.  Still haven't found the pattern, but I'm hoping it'll turn up soon.

So, now that my room is ready for some creativity, I started on my May quilt.  I made this cute baby quilt for the little girl who visited me to tell me she'd be here soon.  (Those who know me, know I occasionally have visions.  I'll check them out with the people involved and they'll ask me how I know that.  I can't explain it.)  So, here's hoping I don't jinx it and she'll be here soon.  I'll quilt this cutie up when I'm informed she's on her way.  I already have the diaper bag planned.


This keeps me on track with my goal of one quilt a month.  Now that my May quilt top is done, it's back to working on the BOM.  It took me two days, but I finally have the pattern worked out and the sample made.  Next is writing it up and making up the samples for the guild.  Here's a peek at what I've come up with:


And here's all six of the blocks done so far:


Time for a break now before the marathon writing sesson begins, It's my turn to bake cookies for coffee hour at church.   Hmmm... cookies.....  Yum!  These came out great last time I made them, so I'm baking them again:

Chocolate Chip Coconut Bar
...
1 c. butter, softened
2/3 c. white sugar
2/3 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. unsifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. coconut
1 c. quick cooking oats
12 oz. chocolate chips (I used the dark chocolate - yum!)
1 c. chopped nuts

Mix butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla. Blend in flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in an ungreased 9″ x 13″ pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 30–35 minutes until lightly browned. (I had to bake it longer) Cool. Cut into bars. Store in a covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment